Task 1: establish what plaid is so I don't look silly.
Task 2: find the plaid in my stash.
Task 3: chose a pattern
Task 4: get supplies
Task 5: actually finish it before the week is up (or www.sewweekly.com will have to change its URL to sewabitthenhaveacupofteathengetdistractedandfindtheitemthreemonthslaterhalffinished.com)
I went with the red tartan fabric that was a bit like a blanket.
And here is the pattern I chose:
It's Butterick 5741 from around 1976. Now, normally I am the sort of person who follows printed instructions to the letter (e.g. no bombing in the swimming pool. I would never do that) but I have found myself being dragged to the dark side this week. Instructions I have ignored include:
"Stiped, plaid.... fabrics are not suitable"
"allowance for matching not included in yardages given"
And the amount of fabric stated that I would need for cape A, (the shortest, hoodless one) was: 3m
I only had 2 metres of wool plaid. Ha! I laugh at your instructions!
This is my cutting out of the pieces on the kitchen floor:
And this is what I had left:
Then I realised I needed 2 welts as well....
Despite the blatent disregarding of instructions I have made a cape. I completed the hand-sewing on the lining while I watched "Sex and the City", the first film, yesterday.
In the meantime: I have made jam this week:
And I found a rather nice Vogue knitting book in a charity shop for 30p. It has patterns from the 30s to the 80s collected in it. Love! The cover makes it look a bit rubbish, but it is full of great patterns...