Monday 9 April 2012

The valleys are low...but the mountains are high


Two steps forward, one step back. I have now put the 22 inch invisible zip into my Colette Truffle FOUR times. Four. Yes. Twice today.

#1 I managed to put the teeth in the wrong way but notice before I have done too much. OK, quick unpick about 8 inches. Not too bad.
#2 Get the zip in OK on both sides but the waist seam doesn't quite match - it's just out. I sew up the seam anyway THEN decide I really ought to try again. Out it all comes.
#3 Get the zip in great. I take my time and even baste it in to try to get the waist seam to match. It's still a little out but I decide I can live with that. I sew the facing in and finish the seam, Then zip it all up to admire the finished article. That's when I notice - the shoulder strap is twisted. See pic above. My heart sinks. Swear a bit. Make a cup of tea. Rip it all out.
#4 I think it's right this time! The middle vertical seam is the zip. The horizontal seam is the waist. I am very proud.


Should I have left it alone after the second time? This time last year I would have been thrilled just to get the zip in let alone have anything line up. Am I getting too fussy? What do you do when you mess up?

15 comments:

  1. no, its better to make it right and I'm sure next time will be 1st time right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers, that is a pretty damn good job you've done! I don't think you're getting to fussy you just know you can get it right and this just proves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not fussy, it's taking pride in your work. Congratulations on such a fantastic zip insertion! As they say, practice makes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi - I should think of it as practice and not as messing up - ha ha!

      Delete
  4. Charlotte..
    It looks fantastic!!! Perfect job...
    I am so sorry it was such a headache.. eeeeeh.. I think you and I are twins [and just didnt know it,ha]..I so do the same things.. Would I have left it after the 2 nd time?????/Truthfully....It all depends on the day... Somedays ,it HAS to be right.. but somedays...oh well..off a little is ok..teehee.
    I love the color, can't wait to see it on my sewing daughter..
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right - sometimes I just let things go and sometimes i like to be just right. To be honest Judy my sewing teacher will see the job I did at class tonight and I know she isn't grading me and won't tell me off but I just didn't want to show her a not quite right job. A bit mental, I know xxx PS I want to wear the dress out to dinner on Sat so I am on a final push this week x

      Delete
    2. So understand... when we have to show some one [our teacher] ,it makes you want it right.ha
      Out to dinner, in a new dress.. so exciting.. That will make you want to finish it.. I can't wait to see it. Have fun..

      Delete
  5. That looks fantastic! Good on you for persevering. I get lazy and just go with the waist not quite lining up and then kick myself for not re-doing it most of the time - seeing you get it perfect will be good inspiration for me to take it a bit more carefully myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat - normally I would let it go but my mindset has changed so much recently. This year I am finishing far less things but the standard is so much higher!

      Delete
  6. It looks great! Bravo for not giving up. I don't know about you, but I can't just leave things or they'll completely alter the way I look at the piece. It might look great as a whole, but I would always see the uneven hem/crooked zipper/different colored thread. Your dress is going to look lovely in that color!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg, I have finished it! Just photos to go x

      Delete
  7. I've put you up for an award lovely, come and have a look on my blog. x x x

    ReplyDelete